Hi Guys. Sorry I’ve been a bit on the quiet side lately. I don’t want to be a moaner, and I’ve done my best to keep my day job off the blog, but the short reason I haven’t posted particularly regularly recently is that I’m really stressed with my day job. Stressed to the point that my GP signed me off sick for three weeks. So I have three weeks to collect my thoughts and decide where I want the next 30 years of my career to go. I need Careers advice, anyone know where an adult can get that these days?
I’m hoping to use the time off for a bit of self-care too. For my day job I look after other people all day long, I come home and have two young children to look after, with some support from my husband, and family stresses and strains to support with. All this means I rarely get time just for me (I’m sure a lot of you ladies out there are in the same boat), so I’m going to look after myself in the bits of time I can snatch to myself. My three-year old son, Eli, goes to nursery on a Wednesday and Friday mornings so I will have at least two mornings a week to do what I want to do. Of course, for me that means sewing and hopefully a bit more frequent blogging… That note brings me smoothly to the next point.
One Lovely Blog award Nominee
I was blown away when Laura at the Accidental Seamstress nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Here I was thinking I was talking to myself but there really are people who are vaguely interested in my waffle. Thanks so much, Laura, I’m really flattered, particularly as Laura’s blog looks so much more professional than mine. Although, I’m hoping the quality of my photos will begin to improve as Tobi bought me a digital camera for my birthday at the end of November, especially for the blog.
You’re probably scratching your heads wondering what this award thing is all about. Well, the One Lovely blog award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It’s funny because I’d not really considered that I’d reached the point of having earnt the title ‘blogger’ but I guess it’s official now. Of course there are some requirements to the award.
1. Thank and link back to the blogger who nominated you
2. Follow the blogger who nominated you
3. List the rules and display the award
4. List seven facts about yourself
5. Nominate your own Top Ten Bloggers (let them know on their “About” page).
So, without further ado, here’s seven facts about me…
1. I married my first boyfriend. We’ve known each other since we were eight and grew up in the same village in rural Hampshire. I couldn’t stand him as a child but clearly that changed along the way.
2. I have a filthy mind. You know the phrase ‘mind like a sewer’? Well, my friend Martin reckons that the sewers in my mind are so big there are people punting gondolas down them. He has dubbed me ‘Gondola Mind’ as a result.
3. I once, very briefly, had a food blog. I think there were only one or two posts on it and they were lame. I can’t even remember the name of the blog or where it was hosted.
4. I love music and I’m a bit of a rocker really. I have an eclectic taste in music; from Marilyn Manson to Bedouin Soundclash.
5. I’m incredibly lazy. My car looks like a rubbish bin for my children, my bedroom floor is always covered in clothes and I think I’ve only cleared my car twice in the three years I’ve had it. There’s more important things than housework, like spending time with my children, blogging and sewing.
6. My claim to fame is that my Dad was on UK chat show called Kilroy, hosted by Robert Kilroy-Silk, twice and was also in a UK magazine called Woman’s Own. I’m not going to share what the story was but feel free to have a guess, I bet you’ll never get it.
7. I find blogging a real effort. I started the blog to be able to take part in the conversation and the amazing Sewing community that exists online, but I find it really difficult to motivate myself to blog. I’m a bit of a hermit really and not the most social of people in real life. Bear with me on the blog when there are big gaps between posts, I’m probably just psyching myself up to actually put something out there.
Well there we go, that was actually harder than I thought it was going to be trying to find 7 vaguely interesting things about myself. As per the instructions of the award, I will be nominating my top 10 bloggers for the same award but I’ll have to have a think about who to nominate. So I’ll come back to you again and let you know who I chose.