Colette Meringue mark 2?

I made a muslin for my Colette Meringue skirt. I’ve got quite a booty and I wanted to make sure there was enough wiggle room. I used mint green and cobalt baby cord I picked up at a charity shop for next to nothing. As I mentioned previously most of the fabric I buy is from charity shops. I rarely have labels to check for fibre content and I’m too much of a noob at sewing to reliably recognise fabrics. Generally I’m guessing and using my gut instinct. I’m pretty sure this was cotton. I didn’t have a cheap fabric of equivalent weight so I went as close as I could for drape.

20140301-200706.jpg
Fabric from Big Nana’s stash

I think… No, to be honest I have no idea what it is- possibly upholstery material? I think it’s cotton though. Nice but there’s on big flaw- not my colour at all. I rarely wear light colours.

I’ve been following the Colette Wardrobe Architect series and have been thinking about the colours that suit me and what neutrals I wear in the hopes of sewing stuff that will look good and I’ll wear rather than those projects that end up lurking at the back or your wardrobe. My main neutral is black and the colours I wear are vibrant- reds, greens, blues and really any strong colour.

20140301-201603.jpg

20140301-201635.jpg

20140301-201658.jpg
Here’s some colour palettes that caught my eye

So this ‘muslin’ fabric was chosen purely because I would never chose to make myself something with it so didn’t mind it going to waste. For the facings, I used remnants of a red rose patterned duvet cover (another charity shop pick up) which I have previously made into a 50’s sundress.

20140301-202137.jpg

When I tried it on for fitting I surprisingly found myself thinking that I actually quite liked it. I like the combination of stripes and the scalloped hem and I even like the pairing with the facing. So, I have two questions for you:

1) Do I make it up as a proper version for myself despite it not being a colour combo I would usually chose?

And

2) Do I give it the same treatment as the last one and have the rose facing on the right side, making it a bit more quirky with a rose patterned hem?

Give me a holla in the comments and let me know what you think.

Sewing on a budget

20140228-111348.jpg

Sewing can be an expensive hobby, especially if you’re like me and want all the gadgets and gizmos that make a task easier. However, I’m awful with money and so always flat broke. This means I have a very limited budget and have to be creative about where my fabric and notions come from. My favourite place for a bargain is the charity shops. A few weeks ago I came home with at least 10 metres of fabric which only set me back £17. The majority of the fabric, barring the polka dots (one of the few fabric purchases I’ve made myself from an actual fabric shop- fabricland), in the above picture is from charity shops or the stash I inherited from my grandmother-in-law when she have up sewing.

20140228-121409.jpg

Let’s talk about the outfit then. Ther skirt is a corduroy version of the Colette Meringue inspired by Lucky Lucille’s Meringue. I wanted to add a waistband rather than use facings and had a look at Colette’s tutorial to add a waistband to the meringue but I like a high waistband for the vintage look. From looking at Lucky Lucille’s picture it looked like she just cut a straight waistband so I went for this tack. All the way through sewing it a little voice in my head was saying “your should have drafted a curved waistband” and, although what I’ve done looks alright, I was probably right about that as the straight waistband is a bit loose where it doesn’t follow the curve- oh well I like it anyway.

The top is a modification of Gerties Portrait Blouse. I drafted my very first flat collar for this and for the life of me, I can’t work out why it didn’t reach all the way round to meet in front- I drafted it to do that. Rather that ripping it out and redrafting I decided I quite liked the look (despite applying it slightly wonkily!). My hubby thought the bow would look better in Navy but I didn’t have any navy fabric in my stash so what I did was, rather than stitch the bow on, I made a buttonhole just below the centre point of the neckline so I could tie on the bow and can replace it easily at a later date when I have some Navy fabric.

20140228-122534.jpg

I’ve already wittered on about the zip insertion on this skirt, so I won’t bore you with that again. The sewing up, other than the zip, was fairly starightforward and I flipped the hem facing to the outside for the colour block effect. The raw edge is covered with Navy grosgrain ribbon. I did intend the colour combo the other way round for this skirt but the royal blue cord I had was slightly too narrow to be able to cut both front and back skirt panels so I swapped. The only other change I made was top stitching the scallops as the cord is a bit thick and needed it for a crisper edge.

I love this skirt- it’s really comfy to sit around at work all day and it looks smart on. I love bright colours, especially blues and greens and so this is right up my street. My first make from my Colette Sewing handbook and I’m looking forward to trying out some of the other patterns too.